Dragon fruit grows locally, so it's always available to us. It's an intense magenta color inside, and a magenta/pink color outside. The skin is not at all prickly and is quite easy to slice through. The fruit texture is like a kiwi and takes no effort to scoop out. The taste is very pleasant - mild and sweet. We also get local bananas. They are much smaller than those in America. The taste is just amazing! Yes, they taste like bananas, but with something like a vanilla flavor and tropical fruit flavor, too. The banana flesh is not as soft or slippery, but rather like ripe plantain. I took the photo using the same cup's saucer and my bamboo spoon to give you a sense of the size. By the way, our rooms each have two ceramic tea cups/saucers and two spoons. Since we didn't receive any plates in our coconut/bamboo food kit, I used the saucer - which I then washed, of course.
You're never alone here. Geckos scatter up walls, across sidewalks, through our rooms, over our beds... all the while stopping to poop hither and yon. They're small and cute, but not inclined to stick around for photos, so this photo I swiped from the internet. About 5", give or take. Fast. And loud! You wouldn't think something that small could be that talkative or poop that big. Well, I was surprised, anyway. Yesterday on my way to class, I was taken by surprise as a two-foot lizard (as in 24 inches long, not being a biped) slipped across my path rather quickly. I don't carry my phone with me so couldn't get a picture, but it was here and gone so quickly, I couldn't have managed it anyway. So, again, another picture courtesy of the web. Ah, wasps. They like me, apparently. I was hoping to live in harmony with one that seemed interested in my airspace in the bathroom until I realized it was building a nest right next to my toilet. The front office took ...
This might be a longer post, so I will cut to the chase - I made it to Qatar safe and sound and fine. The part of the Philly airport I was in was remarkably mundane, even the international section. Lots of kids running up and down the halls as their parents tired them out before such a long flight. Kudos to the parents because it worked. Nary a cry for the duration of the trip. Things I'm learning include that if you look or behave differently, security seeks you out. I was smiling and friendly as I walked the plank to board this flight, so I was selected for a random bag search. I enjoyed a friendly chat by Mr. Security, and I'm not being sarcastic. He said they were really tired so he was pulling over people with smaller carry-on bags. I was actually complimented about how well-packed my bags were. When I reached my seat, it was already occupied. I was pleasant and spoke to two women, one of whom was in my seat because the other one was in her seat. And that one was...
⛄️
ReplyDeleteI like walking with you
ReplyDeleteLovely walking through the trees with you. Have a wonderful day.
ReplyDelete